There are a few tips to making a great kale and quinoa salad, or any grain salad really:
*pair ingredients that go well together (i.e., tomato and basil).
*don’t skimp on the dressing, and go to town on the herbs.
For more information on how to make a great composed grain salad, read this post.
Kale and Quinoa Salad
A quick and healthy lunch, side or dinner that is sure to impress.
- 1/2 c cooked quinoa
- 1/2 c kale (small handful)
- 1/2 c mixture of herb leaves (mint, basil, parsley) and microgreens
- 1/8 cucumber, brunoise
- 1/8 apple, brunoise
- 1/4 cooked beet, brunoise
- 1/3 rib celery, brunoise
- 1/2 green onion, curls with green parts, sliced white
- 1/2 segmented orange, cut in thirds
- 1/4 c crumbled feta
- 6 toasted pecans, broken in halves
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 t dijon mustard
- Juice of 2 lemon cheeks (about 2 T)
- 3 eggs, poached (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
- To make vinaigrette, combine oil, dijon and lemon in a jar and shake well.
- Mix 1/3 of vinaigrette into quinoa to season.
- Combine cucumber, apple, celery, orange segments, feta and pecans and add 1/3 of the vinaigrette.
- Add the greens, herbs and quinoa to the salad and toss with remaining vinaigrette. Add beets and lightly toss.
- Garnish with green onions and serve.
- If using, top served salad with poached egg.