This is a delicious and super easy slow cooker chicken recipe that I got from my friend Traci. It’s a wonderful fall dish, however with the weather we have been having around here it’s perfect for a day like today! Here’s what she has to say about it:
“I love making this recipe in the Fall. It really is a comfort dish for those rainy nights. This recipe is from my Crock Pot Slow Cooker Cookbook. I have also done this in a dutch oven and it takes half the time. I like both methods, however, the slow cooker is a little easier if you don’t have much time. You don’t have to do just thighs – sometimes I mix it up with legs but always buy the chicken bone in. I serve this dish with a crisp green salad and brown rice.”
Meals like this slow cooker chicken with fennel and squash recipe are super versatile – they can be made in the slow cooker, pressure cooker or even in the oven. It really comes down to how much time you have, and when you want to make your meal. Here are some other great options:
Like this recipe? Would love a comment below!
Thanks for stopping by – For more great recipes, tips and food inspiration, follow me on Facebook and let’s keep in touch.
Autumn Herbed Chicken with Fennel & Squash
Yield 6-8 servings
A hearty yet healthy dish combining chicken with squash and fennel. Simple and easy to make, yet elegant enough for serving to guests.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3-4 pounds chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- flour for dredging
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- ½ butternut squash, cut into cubes
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar (or use apple juice in a pinch)
- ¼ cup of fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and then lightly coat with flour.
- Heat oil in a heavy pan.
- Once the oil is sizzling, brown chicken on both sides.
- Remove with slotted spoon and set a side.
- Place all the chicken in the slow cooker or dutch oven with the remaining ingredients except for the basil and rosemary.
- Cook for 5 hours on low heat in the slow cooker.
- If cooking in oven, cover and cook for 1 ½ hour – 2 hrs at 325 F
Cuisine Slow Cooker